Vegetarian | Vegan | Malaysian Recipe
I cook lots of vegetarian food at home and Tofu (or Bean Curd) is one of my favourite! An excellent source of protein, amino acids, iron, calcium and other micro-nutrients, tofu is a great ingredient with many health benefits.
Fast facts on tofu
- Tofu is an important source of protein for many vegetarians and vegans
- It may help lower “bad” LDL cholesterol
- It may offer relief for certain symptoms of menopause
- Tofu may reduce the risk of cancer – it contains a soy isoflavone called genistein which can increase the activity of a protein p53 which suppresses tumour growth and can cause cell death of cancer cells – Tofu is regularly consumed in Japan – a country where the risk of breast cancer is the lowest, compared to western countries.
- Low in calories – One block of tofu (250gm) contains approximately 177 calories